Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Art Therapy


Some of you may not know that Harold has a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree in Sculpture from Brigham Young University. He is tremendously talented and this was his first love. He actually tripped over this talent on accident. The story behind this discovery is quite funny.

When Harold was a Junior at Issaquah High School in 1978 he participated in a prank during Homecoming week directed at the Senior float. The subsequent discipline was "in school detention". The administration assigned him to spend his detention time in an art class. He began toying around with the clay and soon he was sculpting non stop. He was commissioned by many local arabian horse associations to create sculptures of their beloved prize winning horses. This created income for him to pay for college AND subsequently was awarded an Art Scholarship to BYU!

After graduation he won the Best of Utah show and his works were highlighted in galleries in New York, Chicago and Scottsdale.

In 1859 Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing, wrote that "Beautiful objects and brilliancy of colour are actual means of recovery."

Modern practitioners of art therapy agree, and believe that recovery from a huge variety of ills, both physical and mental, can be aided and accelerated using the therapeutic powers of art. Anxiety and depression in cancer patients has been reduced. Brain recovery patients have particularly benefitted by art therapy.

Harold is unable to work right now due to his medication reactions, which is particularly frustrating to him. As many of you know, he is somewhat of a Type A personality...very driven, work obsessed and has the inability to "relax". (Try going to Hawaii with him! I just want to get lost with a book with my toes in the sand....and he is renting sail boats, hiking, planning adventures)

So, because of Harold's inability to work we are creating an Art Studio in our home this week! I am really excited about this (probably more excited than Harold at this point). But I believe he will love this! I called our good friend Kent Barton who has an amazing art backround and asked him if he would come down and get him started. He and Anne Marie were so great to immediately jump on this idea and generously be willing to come to Alpine and spend the day with Harold to get him set up and going!

It is heart wrenching to see Harold try and find meaning to his days. Because he is unable to get up and go to work and provide for his family as he loves, he is sad and frustrated at times. He wakes up in the mornings and says, "Di, I have to know what I am to do with my life...with my days. What is my purpose and what can I do?"....Hopefully this will provide a new focus and regeneration of what he found so much joy and pleasure doing in his youth!

So stay tuned....I can hardly wait to see what he will create!

Love to All!

Di

9 comments:

readerfam said...

Brilliant!!
That was inspiration for sure Diane. I hope this can provide the release he needs and can give you the space you need to take care of all the many other things. Rob loved his visit with Harold, he can hardly speak of it without crying...not so much because he's sad but because he loves Harold and feels such a bond there. I need to get the music to "This Is The Christ" so he can brush up on it :) xoxoxoxo

Jenny and Travis said...

What a great idea! I think it will work wonders for him. You don't happen to have pictures of his previous creations do you? I'd love to see them! And I can't wait to see what he will come up with next! Thanks for keeping us up to date. We keep praying for your miracle (and maybe this will be one in itself!). --Jenny

Shannon said...

What a great creative outlet for Harold! Di we love you guys and pray for Harold and your family several times a day.
We love you all. You have done SO much for our family.
Thanks for keeping us updated!
love us (Ty and Shannon)

Ken Richmond said...

Yes, I did know how talented your sweet husband is as his mother showed me a "beautiful" sculpture he had done for her. She showed me the sculpture with a light in her eyes that only a mother could have for her own children....:)Please as Harold struggles not knowing what he should do with his days, my hope and prayer is that you tell him how his willingness to share his story and his unwaivering faith with all of us helps strengthen my testimony and my ability to love and enjoy life. I check this blog often so I can keep up to date with your sweet family. I write this with teared filled eyes and nothing but love for you all. xxx ooo Deb

Karen Scoffield said...

I am so happy for this opportunity you and others are helping to create for Uncle Harry. Please take pictures of some of the finished products. Or better yet..I will have to come see them for myself.

Alex and Heather said...

Did you know that I actually did quite a bit of Art Therapy with my clients at the Center for Change? It's so helpful for anyone. In fact, this was a great reminder for me to start doing something creative. This will be great for Harold.
You will continue to be in our prayers and hearts! Love ya!

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

What a wonderful idea. I am sure he will create many beautiful things!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. *hugs*

Arlene Heiner said...

That is wonderful. I am so excited about your new adventure. It was amazing to me to read this because John first majored in art at BYU and ended up changing because he didn't feel he could make a living at it. He started painting again 2 years ago and has really painted some nice work. It is so therapuetic. What a great idea--You are a great wife. Your daughter did an amazing job on her song in Relief society. What a beautiful voice. the piece was perfect for the lesson.

Kass Martin said...

I'm Ash and Jon's friend Kass. I have been one of Ash's friends since before 7th grade. I know how much she loves you and your hubby and we are praying and thinking of you and wish you progress and health. Good luck with the painting. I think that sounds like a great idea!